The bus ride to and from school is an important part of a child’s school day. Even children who do not use the bus to get to or from school will probably ride a school bus at some point throughout the school year. Whether they are on a ride to school or a field trip, all children should be familiar with the safety rules relating to school buses.
The purpose of this program is to introduce all SWLSB elementary school students to the school bus transportation safety guidelines and to ensure that these young students become safe and confident bus riders.
The students should have:
- general view of the safety features on a school bus;
- the knowledge of how to safely walk to the bus stop and wait for the bus at the bus stop;
- the self-assurance to board the bus and get off the bus;
- an understanding of the importance of following the safety rules while riding on the bus;
- the confidence to ride on a school bus in a safe and secure environment
- to know how to display proper behavior in and around the bus.